Fact: There are literally millions of car accidents nationwide annually vs. only a few hundred thousand motorcycle accidents. Although there are fewer accidents associated with motorcycles, riders are 26 times more likely to die in an accident versus passengers in a car accident. Injury rates are five times higher. Here are a few other insights:
- There are close to 23 motorcycle deaths for every 100 million miles of road traveled in the U.S. That’s in comparison to just 0.86 car occupant death per million miles traveled.
- Some 80% of motorcycle accidents result in injury or death vs. 20% of car accidents.
- 75% of motorcycle accidents involve collisions, typically with a car.
What typically causes motorcycle accidents?
There are a lot of reasons for motorcycle accidents. In some cases, it’s just a matter of a car driving not seeing the cyclist. Here a few other causes:
- Unsafe lane changes by drivers
- Driver opening the door of a parked car
- Driving under the influence
- Lane splitting
- Sudden stops
- Inexperienced drivers
- Left turns
- Road conditions
- Motorcycle defects
In a great many of these instances, it easy to see how a third party could be responsible for the accident and potential injury. That’s why you can benefit from talking with a good motorcycle accident lawyer.
Motorcycle injuries can be devastating for you and your family. Make sure you take your legal options seriously. Give us a call. Our personal injury lawyers will assess your case and work to get you the compensation you’re entitled to.
Steps to take if you’ve been in a motorcycle accident
If you or even a friend are involved in a motorcycle accident follow these important steps:
- Check for injuries and call have someone call 911 if you are unable
- Document the scene by taking pictures, then do your best to get your bike off the road to protect others
- Talk to anyone who witnessed the accident. Get the officer’s badge number. Get insurance information.
- Call your insurance company
The most important, and last step
Call a motorcycle accident lawyer. The reality with motorcycle accidents is that in many cases it’s may not be your fault. If you’ve been seriously hurt, you have every right to pursue your legal options relating to personal injury laws. A simple consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers at our Doylestown and Norristown personal injury law firm will let you know exactly what your options are.
Call Rich Sokorai at 610.275.0700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll take the time to talk through the details with you.