Facing an issue or dispute with a construction project that may require mediation, arbitration, or even litigation? Then, talk with one of the construction lawyers in our Doylestown and Norristown law offices.
Our law firm supports a broad range of clientele. For example, we help general contractors, construction companies, homeowners, business owners, builders, subcontractors, developers, suppliers, financial institutions, and retail chains. So, you trust our construction attorneys to help resolve your issue efficiently and affordably, whether it's a local or government contract.
Common Legal Issues Requiring a Construction Lawyer
Construction law is complex owing to local, state, and federal laws governing the construction process.
For instance, at the federal level, construction lawyers may deal with worksite requirements and hiring practices, including employment and workplace safety laws.
State construction law covers regulations for employment, safety, and the environment. For example, Pennsylvania is governed by UCC Codes.
Local or county laws may include noise restrictions and zoning ordinances.
Some of the more common concerns include:
- Contract Creation: Any contract must be legally sound so you're not exposed to liabilities.
- Contractor Disputes: Contractor disputes can result in project delays and added expenses. Often, they relate to work scope, timeline concerns, costs, and payment. These disputes can happen between homeowners and contractors or contractors and subcontractors.
- Construction Defects: There are numerous concerns subject to defect claims, including code violations, structural defects, inspection issues, faulty plumbing, etc.
- Workplace Injuries: Construction workers face injuries every day on the job. They can lead to workers' compensation claims.
So, in addition to having an experienced construction lawyer, it pays to work with a law firm with broader legal services.
Legal Services Beyond Our Construction Law Practice
That's where High Swartz can prove valuable to your firm. Because when you work with our law firm, you'll access some of the best construction lawyers in the area. But you'll also have access to the entire lineup of legal services to help you with every legal matter.
For example, we support construction projects with the following:
- Commercial Litigation
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Bond claims
- Construction defect and delay claims
- Contract law and business litigation
- Contractor and Subcontractor Payment Act
- Mechanics' liens
- Real estate litigation
If you're a developer working in Montgomery County, Bucks County, or the greater Philadelphia area, we'll help you with contract law for all properties. And that includes high-rise properties, multiple-family developments, and smaller, affordable housing developments.
For example, our construction lawyers have drafted the contract for a significant expansion of a well-known museum. Likewise, our contracts cover stipulated sum, cost plus fee, and cost-plus fee with a guaranteed maximum price.
Our Real Estate Attorneys Support Construction Financing and Deal Structuring
Working with our construction lawyers, our law firm's real estate attorneys have experience representing developers for all construction projects like retail, mixed-use housing, commercial developments, office buildings, and medical office buildings. In addition, that experience extends beyond Pennsylvania to projects nationwide.
Within Pennsylvania, our construction lawyers have negotiated diverse contracts for the construction industry:
- Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency and the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development for loans and grants from the Commonwealth
- Investors in low-income housing tax credit transactions
- Not-for-profit and for-profit entities participating as members of general partners in affordable housing transactions
- Local redevelopment authorities and local economic development authorities for land purchases and "soft loans."
- Banks and other conventional lenders for construction and HUD-insured loans
- Philadelphia regional office of HUD in connection with HUD-insured loans
- Private sellers of properties scheduled for new development or rehabilitation
- Contractors and architects providing design and construction services
- Community organizations in community benefits agreements.
Our real estate and construction lawyers work together in complex real estate transactions.
For example, they've drafted and negotiated partnership arrangements, ground leases, and sale/leaseback documentation. Moreover, those arrangements have covered financing, refinancing, developing healthcare facilities, and affordable housing developments.
Real Estate Agreements Supported by Our Construction Lawyers
Our law firm drafts and negotiates associated with real estate development and financing. Those agreements have included:
- Architects and construction contracts
- Development agreements
- Office and retail leases
- Ground leases
- Agreements of purchase and sale
- Regulatory and operating agreements
- Conservation easements and restrictive covenants
- Access, utility, and construction easements
- Property management agreements
- Real estate brokerage and leasing agreements
- Loan documentation, including loan agreements, promissory notes, mortgages, and related security instruments, such as assignments of project documents
- Intercreditor agreements
- Partnership and limited liability company operating agreements
Our environmental law practice area ensures compliance with environmental laws and local permitting.
Expertise in Leasing Agreements
Our construction lawyers can draft or review agreements if you want to lease a property. So, we've handled a variety of leasing agreements:
- Ground leases
- Commercial office facilities
- Medical office leases
- Master leases
- "Hotel" style leases for multiple physicians' short-term use of medical office facilities.
Purchase and Sale Agreements
Our real estate and construction attorneys have drafted and negotiated purchase and sales agreements. Specifically, those agreements have included high and mid-rise office buildings, multi-family apartment developments, bulk condominium units, and vacant land.
In drafting and negotiating seller agreements, our law firm pays particular attention to due diligence. Accordingly, we investigate possible environmental problems, title issues, zoning and use cases, leasing activity, and outstanding construction litigation or claims.
Our construction attorneys confer with local officials to determine whether building or safety code violations exist. In addition, they work to ensure that the property conforms to zoning requirements. Often, a purchaser requires development approvals before finalizing the purchase -- our real estate attorneys can help.
Talk with a Construction Lawyer at Our Law Firm
Talk to the construction lawyers at our law offices when facing a legal issue in Bucks County, Montgomery County, or the greater Philadelphia area. They'll offer support, whether contract negotiation, litigation, financing, or something else. We have convenient locations in Doylestown and Norristown. In addition to construction law expertise, our law firm can support you in various practice areas. So call today to set up an appointment and get the legal knowledge you need to deliver the best outcome.