Mary Cushing Doherty concentrates her practice on all aspects of marital dissolution and family law issues. An experienced and certified Arbitrator and Mediator, Ms. Doherty strives for the amicable resolution of divorce when possible; however, she is a zealous litigator when it serves the best interests of her clients.
Beginning her career in Philadelphia, she served as chair of the Family Law Section in 1985 and its representative on the Judicial Selection Commission. She was a co-chair of the Montgomery County Family Law Committee in 1994 and chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Family Law Section in 1999-2000.
Mary has rightfully been honored over the years for her unparalleled community work and dedication to marital and family law. She has consistently been ranked as a Super Lawyer, Top Lawyer in America®, Top Attorney in Suburban Life Magazine and an honoree in both the Montgomery and Pennsylvania Bar Association. In 2012, she was a Legal Intelligencer Women of the Year recipient and PBA Lynette Norton Award honoree. In 2018, Mary was awarded the prestigious honor of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Woman of the Year for the Philadelphia area.
Ms. Doherty has been a Course Planner and Lecturer for The PBI, (and served on its board for 7 years), the PBA and MBA Family Law Section, and a Lecturer for the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML). She has been a spokesperson for legislative reform for the Pennsylvania Bar Association and has been honored by the PBA for acting as its spokesperson for reform of the custody statute and the Divorce Code to ease lengths of a no-fault divorce. She chaired the Supreme Court Committee on certification of organizations that qualify lawyers as experts. She served on the Pennsylvania Domestic Violence Task Force and she continues to participate on the PA Joint State Legislative Committee on Family Law.
Mary’s civic and community activities are varied and numerous. She chairs the Eastern PA Advocacy Committee for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and has served in this committee and the BucksMont Light the Night Executive Committee.
Mary has served as President of the AAML Pennsylvania Chapter from 2006 to 2007. Thereafter she served as Chapter Leader Coordinator from 2010 to 2013 and now co-chairs the AAML Legislation Committee.
She is active in her church, St. Catherine of Sienna in Horsham as a Pre-Cana counselor, is an adjunct instructor in Child Development to the youth at Upper Dublin High School. Mary currently serves as a Philadelphia VIP mentor, teacher and coach for pro se litigants.
- Pennsylvania, 1978
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1978
- University of Delaware, B.A., 1975
- Women of Accomplishment, Women’s Yellow Pages, 24th & 25th Editions
- Professionals For Amicable Divorce, Member
- Joint State Government Commission of Pennsylvania, Member of Advisory Committee on Domestic Relations Law, 1995 – present; Chair of Alimony Sub-Committee; Member of Advisory Committee on Assisted Reproduction Technologies
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers – Pennsylvania Chapter, Fellow, since 1986; President of Pennsylvania Chapter, 2006 – 2007; AAML Chapter Leader Coordinator, 2007-2014
- Doris Jonas Freed Inn of Court, Member of the Bench since 1995; 2008 & 2016 Recipient of the Frederick Cohen Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section Chair, 1999 to 2000; Officer, 1995 to 2001; Council Member, 1990 to 1994; Ex Officio Council Member, 2002-present; Section Member since 1979; Member of the Commission on Women in the Profession, since 1997; PBA Commission on Women in the Profession, Executive Council; Review and Certifying Board Chair
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Board of Directors, 1992 to 1998; Award of Professional Excellence in Programming, Association for ContinuingLegal Education, for Drafting Marital Settlement Agreements Course, 1997
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Family Law Section Chair, 1985; Member Since 1979Family Law Delegate to Board of Governors, 1986; Member of Judicial Selection Commission, 1985
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member, 1979 – 1987 & 1992 – present
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, since 1995
- Attorney General Family Violence Task Force, Member of Law Enforcement and the Judiciary Group, Designee for Pennsylvania Bar, 1998-1999
- Supreme Court Committee on Racial and Gender Bias in the Justice System, Chair of the Gender Bias in Family Court Subcommittee Work Group and coeditor of Gender and Racial Bias in Family Court portion of the report, 2000 to 2003
- Super Lawyers, 2004-2018
- Best Lawyers in America® (Philadelphia-Family Law), 1995-2018
- Top Attorneys, Suburban Life Magazine, 2011, 2017, 2018
- Upper Dublin School Board Recognition for 20 years as an adjunct instructor.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Special Achievement Award, 2017
- PBA Women in Profession Lynette Norton Award, 2012
- Legal Intelligencer, Women of the Year Recipient, 2012
- Woman of Distinction Recipient, Philadelphia Business Journal, 2009
- Recipient of the Frederick Cohen Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2008
- Margaret Richardson Award Honoree, 2006
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Woman of the Year, 2018
- UNITE, Inc., Chair of the Board, 1988 – 2007; member since 1982
- St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church, Horsham, Pre-Cana counselor, 1982-2011
- Upper Dublin High School, adjunct instructor, Child Development II, since 1995